Repair, install, adjust, or maintain industrial production and processing machinery or refinery and pipeline distribution systems.
- Anode Rebuilder
- Appliance Fixer
- Appliance Mechanic
- Appliance Repairer
- Apprentice, Machinist, Outside
- Area Mechanic
- Automatic Pinsetter Adjuster
- Automotive Maintenance Equipment Servicer
- Aviation Support Equipment Repairer
- Bag Adjuster
- Repair or replace broken or malfunctioning components of machinery or equipment.
- Repair or maintain the operating condition of industrial production or processing machinery or equipment.
- Disassemble machinery or equipment to remove parts and make repairs.
- Observe and test the operation of machinery or equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using voltmeters or other testing devices.
- Reassemble equipment after completion of inspections, testing, or repairs.
- Clean, lubricate, or adjust parts, equipment, or machinery.
- Examine parts for defects, such as breakage or excessive wear.
- Operate newly repaired machinery or equipment to verify the adequacy of repairs.
- Analyze test results, machine error messages, or information obtained from operators to diagnose equipment problems.
- Record parts or materials used and order or requisition new parts or materials as necessary.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Ohio was $52,610 with most people making between $33,720 and $74,380
During 2016, this occupation employed approximately 19,490 people in Ohio. It is projected that there will be 20,850 employed in 2026.
This occupation will have about 136 openings due to growth and about 1,724 replacement openings for approximately 1,860 total annual openings.
- Commercial and Industrial Machinery and Equipment (except Automotive and Electronic) Repair and Maintenance $42,590
- Machinery, Equipment, and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers $44,570
- Plastics Product Manufacturing $44,170
- Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing $50,090
- Animal Slaughtering and Processing $38,050
- Fruit and Vegetable Preserving and Specialty Food Manufacturing $43,580
This occupation requires a Silver certificate
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Medical Equipment Repairers
- Gas Plant Operators